Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Personal Literary Narrative

Example of a personal literary narrative
My previous post, "Fully Empowered by Poetry," models a hybrid genre I wish for my students to imitate: the personal literary narrative.

This type of writing is a combination of three kinds of writing:

  1. The personal essay
    It is framed as a personal narrative, and not as a detached academic analysis. It emphasizes individual perspective and attempts to convey the emotion of authentic, lived experience.
  2. Literary criticism
    At the same time, integrated within this reflective piece, is literary analysis which fulfills the traditional function of literary criticism: it identifies and interprets both literary methods and themes -- form and content.
  3. The blog post
    It has the casualness, brevity, and immediacy of online writing. It also is visually composed, with an accompanying image and text that is set off and spaced for easy consumption. This writing is also embedded in social media (links to the post were disseminated via Google+ and via Facebook, and these elicited immediate responses -- see below). 
Screenshot from my Google+ stream, showing quick response to post
Screenshot from my Facebook stream, showing responses
(see "likes" below)




2 comments:

  1. Are you looking for literary analysis of poetry or can it be fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this as an example of technical writing ... about literature! I've been feeling a bit wary of my future career as a tech writer, but realizing that how-tos cover a wide range of things helps me feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete